Let me just try to head off the "use Perl" discussion by hinting that
I've had some "interesting times" trying to use Unicode in Perl too.

It should be simple, as long as every single CPAN module you use
handles Unicode in the same simple way, and none of them (e.g.
FreezeThaw) are flat-out broken.

That said, I'm a Perl programmer by trade, so I have no knowledge of
how good or bad the equivalent situation with with modules is in
Python.

--
Paul

PS: I'm currently actively looking for a Perl programming gig, ideally
in central North Carolina, or telecommuting. My current contract is up
in July. Feel free to contact me offlist to discuss this further.