On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Larry Sulky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In my conlang Qakwan, I'm trying to establish a rule that says that the
> patient of the verb sits in the direct object position, and the recipient,
> if any, is an oblique object. But I'm getting derailed by these English
> examples:
>
> A) I give a blanket to him.
> B) I cover him with a blanket.
>
> In both examples, "a blanket" is the patient -- more specifically, the thing
> that is transacted. But in (A) it sits in direct object position, while in
> (B) it is an oblique object and the recipient is the direct object.

I would say that in B, the blanket is actually the instrument, and
"him" is the patient, undergoing covering. You could certainly have a
word in your 'lang that would typically be translated as "cover" but
really means "to put on top, cover with" and takes the placed item as
the direct object, though.