On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm using a normal keyboard on a PC and using the "alt" key to enter the accented vowels.
> alt0225 = á, alt0233 = é, alt0137 = í, alt0243 = ó, alt0250 = ú.

You mean 0237 for í.   You might want to enable US/International
keyboard mode so you can type them even more easily.

But the problem isn't how you enter them.  The content of the page is
encoded in Latin-1, but the encoding is not indicated anywhere. So any
browsers that assume UTF-8 by default will see garbage instead of the
accented characters.  (Though most should be smart enough to
autodetect the encoding...)

You can fix that by adding a tag inside the <head> of the HTML:

Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>