On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Martin Di Maggio <[log in to unmask]>
> When I say English I am referring to the British pronunciation as I am British.

Please don't get defensive, as we're just trying to help you increase
the clarity of your description.  You're not under attack. :)

But when you say "the British pronunciation", which one do you mean?
Let's assume you mean RP. That doesn't change anything I wrote.
Initial voiceless stops are still aspirated, so saying that
unaspirated ones are pronounced "as in English" is just a little
misleading without a qualifier ("as in English, but unaspirated",
maybe)..  And even in RP, I don't think the vowels line up the way you
indicated; I haven't heard [o] in "hot" in any native English dialect.
  And doesn't RP "hat" have [æ]?  Or is it in the BATH lexical set?  I
was under the impression that membership there required a fricative
coda, but I freely admit to ignorance on that front.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>