West Midlands English?
Are you sure?
Non-Britishers ought to note that West Midlands vowels and diphthongs are
highly distinctive and strange (to the point of friendly parody among the
natives) and will certainly be unfamiliar to, I suspect, a large majority of
folks on the list. Same problems, though, as saying "vowels are as in
Spanish" and so on. I don't speak Spanish for instance and have little idea
of how to pronounce Spanish vowels authentically. Other problems with this
sort of approach include "do you speak Spanish (etc) well enough to be
authoritative in the first place?" - by "you" here I mean the didact in
question, not necessarily "you personally" by the way! That's why an
IPA-based system is so much better.
Mike