On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> And probably a significant reason why auxlangs will never catch on
>> with the general population. English language Grammar Nazis can be bad
>> enough, but Auxlang Nazis are the worst.
>
> Concurred, though your use of the word "Nazi" raises a bullshit flag
> in me.  Such usage is disrespectful towards the victims of the *real*
> Nazis.

No disrespect intended. This is said in the spirit of Seinfeld's "Soup
Nazi", <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_Nazi> and in keeping with
the common usage on many, if not most, English-language
non-linguistics forums and mailing lists where the term "Grammar Nazi"
(as defined here
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grammar%20Nazi>)
is used without any intended reference to anything connected with or
relating to real-world Nazis.

On the subject of language purity, here's a very interesting attempt
to cleanse English of  such contaminants as Latin, Greek, and French
words. <http://books.google.com/books?id=rVoKAAAAIAAJ&printsec=titlepage&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0#PPA43,M1>

--gary