Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:
[snip]

> 2. Novial - there have reportedly been flamewars on AUXLANG
>    between different Novial revivalist fractions.  (Similar
>    to the divisions observable in the Cornish revivalist
>    movement.)

There most certainly was at least one set of flame wars there - it was
during them that I left AUXLANG. They were raging during 1998 IIRC.

When I left, there were four competing versions. Links to four versions
may be found on:
http://www.blahedo.org/novial/index.html

(I don't know why Eurial is listed there as it is _not_ a 'Novialid' and
was not involved AFAIK in any flame war.)

Jörg's comparison with Cornish is interesting. One of the sticking
points in both revivals is which version of Novial/Cornish to use.

In the case of Novial, it is whether to use Novial as presented in
_Novial Lexike_ (1931) or Novial as it was just prior to WWII (the
latter had moved more towards Occidental and had a more 'natlangy' feel,
including e.g. use of 'hard' and 'soft' _c_). In the case of Cornish it
is whether to base it on the language as attested in documents of the
16th century ("Classical Cornish") or to take as its basis the language
of the 18th & early 19th century ("modern Cornish").

Interestingly, in both cases it is the older version that most
revivalists went for - arguments being about what is the 'purer' form of
the classical model. It seems that most people 'instinctively' consider
the 'classical' form of a language to be "purer" than its later
developments. One thinks of how medieval Latin was despised at the time
of the Renaissance and a conscious attempt was made to reform Latin
along the norms of Caesar and Cicero. The same mentality seems still to
affect the revival not only of of dead/moribund natlangs, but also of
conlangs!

--
Ray