For my toy language NOIX I generate roots using a particular
twelve-sided die.  The only form of the words is written, and all of
the shapes are pretty to me and none of them have any particular
resemblance, so I don't much care which meaning goes with which
symbol.  If I roll a root that's already been used, I consider whether
I'd enjoy having the new meaning as a homonym with the old one, and
that's the only time I've been making vetoes.

When I do invent a spoken language, the kind of word formation that I
most enjoy is where there's an abundance of deformations and
transformations.  For instance I imagine triconsonantal roots like
X-Y-Z plus various forms putting it into grammatical or semantic
roles, giving shapes like xayaz, xeyazi, ixyaz, or even xazay, zaxeyi.
 Then perhaps a transformation of Y -> W has another effect, and would
produce ixwaz and zaxewi.  To that I would also add infixing, so you
could add an -iy- infix making xayaz -> xiyayaz, ixyaz -> ixyiyaz,
zaxewi -> ziyaxewi.  With the sound of words emerging so chaotically
from the roots, whatever euphony you could find would be in how you
use the roots, not what consonants you start from, so I'd be inclined
to use randomly generated roots in that system as well.

To me the ability to associate any meaning with absolutely any symbol
is one of the most fascinating aspects of language.  I like to draw
out a random symbol from the ether, knowing with certainty that it has
no previous connection to its new meaning whatsoever, to watch just
how readily it takes to its new home in my mind-- how quickly it grows
its irrational feeling of rightness. :)

<3,
bret-ram
aka