On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 22:40, Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Recently the LCS has been discussing how to provide a service for
>> non-conlanger "entertainment industry" people - i.e. primarily movies,
>> games, and novels - who may want to use a created language.
>>
>> There are basically three approaches:
>>
>> a) we publish a list of people who can make a custom conlang and/or
>> orthography quickly, that's tailored to their needs
>>
>> b) we co-sponsor a contest to make such a language, with the winner
>> getting the contract (but this requires significantly more time)
>>
>> c) we publish a list of conlangs that are available (at least in
>> principle) for licensing or outright sale, such that someone can
>> easily browse the list and contact the author to obtain the rights
>>
>> First off: what do y'all think of these? Any better suggestions?
>
> I doubt a movie studio would care about (b).

And I'm not sure whether they'd be too hot on (c), either -- I imagine
that they'd typically want a conlang to have a specific "flavour", to
match the production it'll be embedded in. So using an existing
conlang would mean either ignoring that, or evaluating all the
conlangs on offer to see which one is close enough.

And they might even say, "Well, language X is 80% of the way there,
but to match well, I'd like you to do Y" (where Y would be anything
from "adapt the phonology so that it sounds harsher/more
pleasant/whatever" to "change the grammar so that it's easier for
actors to remember"). And it might even be something like "I like the
sounds of Kelen, but it needs to have verbs. Put some verbs into it
and I'll licence it."

And I'm not sure whether a conlang creator would be willing to change
their "baby" like that.

So on the whole, I think (a) is probably the most likely.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>