On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Indeed.  And people would probably look at you strange if you called
> it "faucet water"; the two terms are not connected etymologically in
> our minds, any more than "fresh water" and "lake".

It would not surprise me one bit if a child just learning to talk
called it "faucet water". In fact, I seem to recall having heard that
from a child at one time or another. (I may be delusional, of course.)

As a semi-related aside, I'm reminded of the accident victim who lost
much of his vocabulary after a brain injury. When showed a comb and
asked what it was he replied "It's that thing you comb your hair with,
but I can't think of the word for it."

--gary