2009/5/23 Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> As a semi-related aside, I'm reminded of the accident victim who lost
>> much of his vocabulary after a brain injury. When showed a comb and
>> asked what it was he replied "It's that thing you comb your hair with,
>> but I can't think of the word for it."
>
> Heh.  Proof that even lexical items that seem the same are stored separately...

I've seen that from my four-year-old daughter based on what she thinks
rhymes; she'll occasionally come up with trivial rhymes such as
"'orange' rhymes with 'orange'" or "'bottom' rhymes with 'bottom'"
which seem to show to me that she considers the "colour" word and the
"fruit" word (or the "what you sit on" word and the "lowermost part"
word) to be separate words, and therefore eligible for being rhymes of
one another.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>