On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Eldin Raigmore
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:59:17 -0600, Muke Tever <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Probably "water that's on tap" as opposed to "water from a tap", where 'on
>>tap' is an idiom that doesn't necessarily refer to things actually called
>>taps.

> What about "branch water"? As in "Bourbon and branch water"?

I'd understand that to mean "water drawn from a branch",
i.e. a body of water in motion about the same
width and depth as the bodies of water known
in other dialects as "brook", "stream", or perhaps
"creek" (in my 'lect a "branch" is narrower and
shallower than a "creek", but nearly synonymous
with "stream" or (passively) "brook").  I've heard
it explained as referring to a branch, i.e. a
tributary, of a larger water-flow such as a creek.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/