On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:21:07 +0200, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Well, to some degree grammar *does* influence the "flavour"
>of the language.  For instance, if the producer says, "They
>are like North American Indians, so build a language in that
>style", and you come up with an isolating language with
>monosyllabic words, anybody who knows anything about real
>indigenous languages of North America will raise an eyebrow
>- because he'd expect a polysynthethic language, not an
>isolating one.

Even there I'm not so sure.  In fluent speech one can't really hear word
boundaries, and if our hypothetical monosyllabic isolating language was
spoken with each large constituent smoothly run together, I might not notice
the difference.  (And the writing system could be equally nonindicative of
word boundaries.)

Alex