Stuart,

I think I'd agree with Dot.  The text was unclear (to the OCR) and thus
it has made its best guess so <unclear> would make sense. Another
option, I suppose, since it is an apparent error would be <sic>, but
that does strike me as a bit of tag abuse.  <sic> is intended for when
you've consciously made the editorial decision to include a segment of
text which appears in the original as such, but which you know (and thus
wish to mark) as being erroneous. I'd have used either unclear myself,
or some neutral markup like <seg> with @type and @subtype to catergorise it.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford