This would be pretty cool. The EpiDoc solution to the problem of square
brackets is kind of nasty (we split supplied wherever it would otherwise
overlap with some other element, and then use the Leiden-generating XSLT
to omit square brackets from elements immediately preceeded or followed
by more supplied text or gaps). It's nastier than it sounds.

But yes, I can see that this sort of thing ought to be handled
comprehensively. I can't think of any other elements that desperately
need an xSpan, but there may be some that we don't use?

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities