Another way of addressing this issue might  be simply to make these
elements a member of the att.spanning class

That is, for each such element xxx, rather than invent a sister element
xxxSpan, we modify its definition such that
a) it  can take a @spanTo attribute
b) we add a schematron rule which says that if @spanTo is supplied the
element must be empty

This would
- be a lightweight implementation of one of the mechanisms discussed in
the non-hierarchic structures chapter, (cannot remember off hand its
acronym).
- reduce the need to inflate the number of TEI elements