Dear Marion,

Much of what is in the TEI file looks good in my opinion! I will
comment on a few specific points in your email below. A general
comment - more to the community than to you - is that this shows how
the need for visualization is ever growing. A tool to create an
interactive graph showing the persons and their relations will be
important? necessary? to do manual checking of the correctness of such
an encoding.

It is, as always, a question if the data is kept in a database taking
care of validation and consistency. If so, the TEI file is just an
export and this is less important. But if TEI is to be used as the
format for creating, storing and using such data of some complexity,
we need better tools.

Den 12. juni. 2009 kl. 14.26 skrev M L:

> Dear all,
>
> Please find attached a first very humble encoding and its
> documentation. I copy-pasted the code at the end of this email too.
>
>  [...]
>
> One of my question is: if an RDF level were included in the global
> computational system, wouldn't it be redundant to keep the
> relational tags in an xml file?

I am not quite sure what you mean by the global system - is it project
global or world global?

If RDF files are created automatically from the TEI and not changed
manually, there are no redundancy. But if you use RFD to store and
update the person data and family/clan relations, then I would suggest
any TEI is created automatically from the RDF. Manually updating
related data in different systems are often necessary or even wise,
but the interface should be clearly defined.

> I cannot find any link online right now to validate the file (does
> anybody know one, please?). Consequently, the doctype declaration
> gives the path that is on my computer.

I would suggest you create a DTD using Roma that works specifically
for your data and put that DTD on the web.

Kind regards,

Řyvind Eide
PhD student