I'm thinking that either an @status on edition or an optional <status>
child of editionStmt is the way to go on this. As far as I can see that
answers both Sebastian's original case for ="expired" and Martin's case
for ="proofed" while addressing James's point about the scope of the
attribute.

So as a document went through various revisions, either the content of
the status element or the content of the @status on edition would change:

<edition status="draft">First</edition>
<edition status="proposed">First</edition>
<edition status="copyedited">First</edition>
<edition status="proofed">First</edition>
<edition status="release candidate">First</edition>
<edition status="published">First</edition>
<edition status="revised">First</edition>
<edition status="deprecated">First</edition>
<edition status="withdrawn">First</edition>
<edition status="reinvigorated">First</edition>

I think you might find that many of these stages also involve revisions,
and so would probably also show up as change under revision statement;
but not all status changes involve revisions: a thesis can be
@status="submitted" and then @status="approved" without any changes to
the text (if you're lucky ;). Likewise, documents can expire without
changes from when they were still active.

So that's my guess. Seems like a useful feature request.

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)