I was going to say that if we'd decided that editionStmt/edition was the
place for @docStatus, we should consider whether we wanted it as an att
value on edition and/or an optional sibling such as <docStatus>. The
advantage of @docStatus is that it encourages people to come-up with
controlled vocabularies. The advantage of a sibling is that it gives
people a way of stating complex statuses (e.g.
<edition>first</edition><*docStatus>TEI encoded with a new bibliography
by Dan O'Donnell</*docStatus>[1]).

But since label already is there, it seems to me that we can have the
best of both worlds: @docStatus on editionStmt/edition for controlled
vocabularies, and <label> as the optional sibling if you want space for
more discursive descriptions of status.

I do think that at a minimum we need a method of stating this status as
a controlled vocabulary list (even if we leave only suggest values in
the guidelines). Document status control is extremely important in many
different institutions, and most already have a developed controlled
vocabulary for which they will want a mechanism. So while Label is in
fact a useful supplement, I think the ability to express status on an
attribute is going to be essential.

Is it correct that the only places edition shows up is in editionStmt
and bibl|biblStruct? If so, @docStatus would only make sense in the
context of the teiHeader. I guess there's no way of restricting it to
that context, is there?

-dan

[1] The * is just  there to indicate the element doesn't exist yet.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)