(here's an example of the line-wrapping problem we've been discussing.0

Paul Hartzer wrote:
> Xia Xiang perfume (from Revlon) had a reasonably extensive advertisement campaign quite a few years back in which the pronunciation in particular was highlighted. I can imagine a lot of people at least in the US know how x is pronounced in Mandarin based on that.

I don't recall that ad campaign, but ads and commericalism are
things I avoid like the plague.  I would guess that maybe a few
people caught a clue or two during the Beijing Olympics, but I
suspect the American public is pretty ignorant of Pinyin usage.