On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Paul Hartzer<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The XKCD cartoon does indeed raise a subtle point. We tend to assume
> that everything done by anyone prior to the 20th century had Great Cultural
> Significance TM and Deep Spiritual Value TM, while we are surrounded
> by examples from our own era of ars gratia artis and just plain goofing off for
> fun.

I absolutely agree.  We forget that their world is our world and that
human life has always been this rich.  I think that we have the
inverse tendency, as well: We too often assume that the purposes and
qualities of modern works are necessarily mundane.  I believe that the
Voynich manuscript or the Lingua Ignota could have been just for fun,
and I also believe that there are modern conlangs (perhaps languages
by people on this very list right now) which are true great spiritual
revelations.  Both are just simple natural human acts, that always go
on side-by-side, and sometimes even dance together.

<3,
Pope Salmon the Lesser Mungojelly
aka
bret-ram