On 2009-06-05 Alex Fink wrote:
> But can the connexion between <begin> and <beginning>
> rèally be so nonsalient to such spellers that they don't
> realise the first is a component of the second?

Spend a couple of hours around kids learning to write!
Their propensity for not connecting compounds with their
parts is stupendous.  My 11 y.o. gets homework assignments
to make up compounds from a pool of words as well as to
identify compounds and single words in a 'word-snake',
i.e. a row of words (not making up a sentence) written
with no spaces between the words.  These exercises
obviously serve four purposes:

1. To make kids aware of the compoundness of compounds.
2. To train them to recognise common compounds.
3. To encourage them to coin new compounds (which is
    part of good writing skills in Swedish.
4. To hammer home the point that unlike in English
    compounds in Swedish are never written with a
    space between their parts.

And believe me, the exercises are needed on all
four accounts even for the linguistically adept
kids like my son and his best friend, who are
well ahead of their peers in English (as L2).

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)