Linvi Charles wrote:
> I know that the question is generalized . . . I know Noam Chomsky's main
> area of study is universal grammar; but, there seems to be a lot of hate
> against him in this forum.

'Hate' is a rather strong word and I doubt whether many (or
indeed any) on the list have any hate towards to him (and if
they do, it would more probably be for political rather than
linguistic reasons - but let us not go there).

I do not along with his 'deep structure' theory and still
less with ideas of generative phonology; but I certainly
have no hate towards the guy.

> Does anyone have a list of respectable books
> about the same subject (whether in agreement or disagreement with Noam
> Chomsky)?

Steven Pinker's book "The Language Instinct" is often
considered to be Chomsky in plain language for the 'person
in the street'; see:
http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/books/tli/index.html

--
Ray