On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM, R A Brown<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[snip]
> Andreas Johansson wrote:
> [snip]
>> The WP page on Cretan hieroglyphs
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretan_hieroglyphs) asserts that one of
>> the symbols (no. 21) recurs on "seal fragment HM 992". I'll insert a
>> citation needed tag but do you know anything about this?
>>

> No, I don't. But if of 45 Phaistos symbols seems to be or is the same as
> another symbol elsewhere, I'm afraid it proves nothing. The symbols were
> presumably depictions of known objects of the time and it would not be at
> surprising if similar shaped symbols occurred in other contexts.

It doesn't prove anything, but it may suggest whether the time was
closer to 1900 BC or 1900 AD. In particular, if the fragment's
stratigraphy is known, and if its symbol is likewise impressed (the WP
page - shock horror -  doesn't answer either question), it would
confirm that the technique of impressing such symbols was known in
Bronze Age Crete.

Also, the particular symbol in question is one of the less
transparently pictorial ones, perhaps suggesting it's based on an
object unfamiliar to moderns. (The WP page on the disc - which does
not mention the fragment - suggest it depicts a palace floor plan*,
whereas whoever named the symbols apparently thought it looked like a
futuristic comb.)

My inner cynic, of course, expects that the fragment, if it even
exists, is badly effaced and only really suggests kinship with the
Phaistos disc glyph after a couple of beers and in a flattering light.

* While the Bronze Age Cretans obviously had palaces, do we know if
they had floor plans? Even if one lives in a palace, one does not
commonly see the place roofless and from a hawk's perspective, so a
floor plan seems incongruously abstract among the animals, tools, etc
apparently depicted by other glyphs. But perhaps the inventor was an
architect who spent half his/her life staring at the things ...

--
Andreas Johansson