Linvi Charles wrote:
> I did not think anyone hates Chomsky in the sense that others have
> interpreted.  It just seems like most people hear the name "Chomsky" and
> have an immediate negative reaction.

There have been times that some have reacted with an
immediate positive reaction. You'll find them in the
archives; and some are still active on the list. To be
honest, I would be loath to say whether his linguistic
theories have strong support or opposition from most on the
list.

> Either way, I do not want this thread
> to devolve into discussion about Chomsky.  *I just want to know who has
> written on the subject on universal grammar.*

Chomsky    :)

Sorry - but if you're interested in the controversial
subject of 'universal grammar' it is rather difficult to
avoid him - but, Elliot has drawn our attention to the fact
that Chomsky's ideas have changed and developed.

I guess at some stage you'll come across Joseph Greenberg's
'linguistic universals'; see e.g.
http://angli02.kgw.tu-berlin.de/Korean/Artikel02/

Also David Bickerton's "language bioprogram hypothesis"; and
I am sure there are many others.

But it should be remembered that the notion of 'universal
grammar' is controversial; some feel the universal grammar
theories (there's more than one) are unfounded or, at best,
unprovable.

--
Ray