On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Gary Shannon<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have a hunch that if Toki Pona were to be used for any kind of
> serious purposes by an extended community of people more interested in
> communication than in ideological purity of Toki Ponaism, the
> vocabulary of coined words would grow to a few thousand in no time at
> all. (A development which would, of course, horrify Toki Pona purists
> at the same time it rendered Toki Pona practical for real-world use.)

Agreed, I think attemting NaCoWriMo with Toki Pona would be an
exercise in masochism, but I think the point still stands that you
don't have to have thousands of words. I think writing a story in
Basic English wouldn't be difficult at all, limiting  sure, but not
hard. It seems logical to assume that if you were to simply make sure
your conlang had all the concepts covered by Basic English before
starting you shouldn't have that much difficulty.

I don't mean to imply that Basic English is some great starting point
or exemplary micro-language. I merely use it because it's easy to
grasp and use as a point of comparison for any English speaker.

-Kate
Promote Rider Safety. Get your free Gear Up! sticker
http://www.GearUpProject.org