Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:44:15 +0100, R A Brown wrote:
[snip]
>> ..................... Inevitably, there has been a
>> claim (more than one, I suspect) that it was left by a
>> survivor of Atlantis. Of course that would explain the
>> apparent uniqueness of the script as well the stamping
>> technique: it's Atlantean script and the Atlanteans used the
>> stamping technique!
>
> I have heard of that hypothesis more than once, too.  Atlantis is
> a convienent "explanation" of unusual artifacts because,

Yes, it is, isn't it!

> well, it
> has disappeared and we know so little about it that one can fill
> it in with whatever is needed to "explain" the odd object.  This,
> of course, raises the question whether Atlantis ever actually
> existed, and if yes, where and when.  My personal theory, which I
> am not sure about though, is that it could have been in the British
> Isles until about 600 BC,

My own view is that Plato made the whole thing up - it's one
of his 'mythoi'. There is no ancient tradition for taking
Plato's story literally or supposing it had a historical
basis. It is not until _after_ the Renaissance that we find
people thinking that Atlantis had some historical or
prehistorical basis, i.e. that it really once existed.

[snip]

> and indeed, I once considered to fake a
> "decipherment" of the Phaistos Disk as a text in Proto-Albic or
> something like that.

And why not? (See my post 'The Phaistos Disk: a conlang
solution'        :)

--
Ray