On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jim Henry<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM, kate rhodes<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I'd be really curious to see how fast others write in conlangs they've
>> created or learned too.

> I'll be doing some experiments with gzb and Toki Pona in the next day
> or so and letting you know the results.  I've timed myself writing
> journal entries in gzb before but I don't know offhand where I
> recorded the results, so I'll have to do it again.

As I said in a posting a couple of days ago to the Toki Pona list, I
managed to write (typing on an ergonomic keyboard in Emacs) 137 words
in 305 seconds (the opening scene of a story I've been vaguely
planning for a little while now), or about 27 words per minute.

Yesterday I timed myself while writing a couple of journal entries in
gzb (in a spiral notebook, with a ballpoint pen, in gzb's native
script): one of about 210 words in 20 minutes and one of about 116
words in 11 minutes.  Whether calculating separately or combining the
two measurements, I get about 10.5 words per minute.

My average rate for writing fiction over an extended session would be
less than those figures, in either language -- the Toki Pona figure is
biased high because I had the scene planned out pretty thoroughly and
it was just a matter of describing the scene in my head in TP.
Writing a full-length story, there'd be a lot of stopping to think
about what in detail happens next, whether I had a plot outline or
not.  And as for the gzb measurements, writing journal entries is
generally easier than writing fiction.

The measures for the two languages are obviously not directly
comparable for two reasons: typing vs. handwriting, and isolating vs.
agglutinative morphology.  (I might go back and count the morphemes in
the gzb journal entries and recalculate speed by that measure.)

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/