On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Geoffrey King wrote (excerpted):

> To some extent this is happening with people stumbling across Esperanto on
> the internet. There is a downside to this; random learners have usually no
> idea of the existing community, the literature, the history, the organisation
> of the language. OK they don't need the history or the organisation, but they
> do need to know about the community, as Dana said ("connect the prospect up
> with existing users").

But WHY should a constructed international auxiliary language depend on
some sort of community?  In that case, it seems to me that the supposed
conIAL is already an ethnic language, albeit a dispersed one, which
defeats the conIAL ideal.  How does this differ from Raumismo, which to
the best of my (admittedly limited) understanding, is inimical to the
conIAL ideal?  If I were to try again to try to learn Esperanto (which
I have tried three times and each time failed), why should my efforts
be such as to integrate myself into an alien community?  Is not the
conIAL ideal such at to REACH ACROSS communities?

--
Paul Bartlett