On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Paul Bartlett<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But WHY should a constructed international auxiliary language depend on
> some sort of community?  In that case, it seems to me that the supposed
> conIAL is already an ethnic language, albeit a dispersed one, which
> defeats the conIAL ideal.

In theory, I guess, if some constructed auxlang is eventually adopted
by the world at large and everyone learns it in elementary school
after learning their native language at home, then there wouldn't be
an auxlang-oriented community as such, at that point.   But how could
any auxlang ever get from here to there without passing through a
stage similar to that which you apparently complain about w.r.t.
Esperanto?   If Lingua Franca Nova or Neo Patwa or Lingua Sistemfrater
or some other auxlang with few or no speakers at present eventually
becomes such as to oblige the governments and large corporations to
take it more seriously than they've taken Esperanto, it would almost
certainly be by growing their speaker community gradually until it's
larger than Esperanto's is at present; and as means to such growth or
side-effect thereof, the development of a culture of their own
(probably international, eclectic, and xenophilic like that of
Esperanto) would be almost inevitable.

> How does this differ from Raumismo, which to
> the best of my (admittedly limited) understanding, is inimical to the
> conIAL ideal?

Well, there's a difference between hard-core Raumismo, which
explicitly disowns the idea of Esperanto ever becoming a global
auxlang spoken by more or less everybody, and -- I'm not sure if this
more moderate position has an official or conventional name --
thinking that Esperanto's international culture is a good thing, and
also that it would be neat if everyone learned E-o, or if not E-o,
then some other auxlang that's a lot easier than most or all natlangs.

> .......... Is not the
> conIAL ideal such at to REACH ACROSS communities?

Well, yes, and that's sort of what the Esperanto community tries to
do; not be an insular community, but one that overlaps scads of other
communities and connects them.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/