Library is open but all non-US entrances are blocked, so if you live in
Rock Island you have to go through customs with your passport to take
out a book.  And I think they even made it so if there's a fire in VT
and the QC crew wants to help, they all have to go through customs the
normal way, or at least that's what they were talking about requiring.

I've heard the statistic that the Canadian border has more illegals, but
exclusively from Homeland Security as a justification for why they
absolutely have to lock down the US-Canadian border, not from any town,
city, county, or state authorities in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, or
even New York so far as I know.  It might be that they *catch* more
illegal entrants on the Canadian border than they do on the Mexican one.
 In fact, there was quite the outcry from the border states since many
Canadians came, legally, into our states to do shopping, and now that's
a lot more difficult and is having an economic impact on the towns near
the border.

Of course the other thing is, there is a significant economic benefit to
having streams of people come in via Mexico who are willing to work for
low wages.  And of course, a benefit if you're a big company looking to
have a low-cost no-benefit workforce that doesn't dare complain how it's
treated.  Most Canadians I've met aren't interested in working for
sub-minimum wage with no benefits, while that's a step up for a lot of
the people coming in on the other border.

In any case, I believe back when the whole border-securing was being
initially pushed, it was pointed out that several people in the Congress
who were complaining loudly that the Canadian border was most important
one to police first and should take priority just happened to be from
places like Arizona and New Mexico...