On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:55 AM, kate rhodes<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And in U.S. English there's a radical socialect they call "Ebonics".

Please don't call it that.  The accepted term is African-American
Vernacular English, or AAVE for short.

> It always feels, to me, as
> if those who speak it either don't care that how poor their grasp of
> English (their native tongue) is or they take pride in their
> mutilation of it.\

You can't have a poor grasp of your native tongue.

The English that is taught in schools here (Standard American English)
is an artificial construct, and for most Americans it is a second
language, that we code-switch in and out of all the time depending on
context.   Most of our native dialects are pretty close to SAE,
especially among "middle class white folk", whereas AAVE is further
away - but there are local dialects spoken by rural Caucasians that
are just as radical. That's even more true of UK dialects compared to
standard British English.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>