Kate wrote:
> I just bought Comrie's _Language Universals and Linguistic Typology_.
> I haven't had a chance to really read about it yet, so I'm not sure
> how current it is, but it looks like a pretty thorough introduction.
> It might be worth looking into if you want something more technical
> and textbook-y.

That's a great book!  I first read it back in the early 80's, and it,
more than any other single book, was responsible for reviving my
interest in both linguistics and conlanging.  AFAIK, it's stood the test
of time pretty well; it mostly deals in generalizations that are still
pretty valid, although some of them have been refined and elaborated.
It's still probably the best introduction I've seen to the
typology-and-universals subfield of linguistics, and a good summary of
what you need to know if you want your conlangs to look naturalistic.
Although it does include some sniping at the then-current versions of
Chomskyan orthodoxy, you don't have to take sides on that to find the
book fascinating and very useful.

- Tim