There are also states which have discontiguous ZIP code ranges.   Was
recently involved in a coding problem where we were trying to
determine state from ZIP code, and while you can *mostly* do so from
the first three digits (with only 50 states, you'd think two digits
would do, wouldn't you?) you can't do it reliably in all cases without
all five digits.  Which of course is a rather large lookup table...

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>