Personally, I don't make a huge distinction between "forgetful" and "absent-minded." I suppose there's the notion that absent-minded people aren't simply forgetful of everything, but rather forgetful of things of a low priority to them because they're thinking about other things (the caricature being Albert Einstein, who perhaps apocryphally regularly forgot his home address because he had more important things to think about), but still... I didn't say "flighty" was a synonym of "forgetful," but rather that it implied it, which you're pretty much agreeing with.

Also, I actively use "flighty" in my day-to-day language, so I'm confused about your use of the past tense, as if it's an archaic term.

-- Paul