On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:34 PM, TOms Deimonds Barvidis
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi everybody!

Hi!

> My conlang Longrimol has a Dual number, which is marked by attaching
> the suffix "-ya", and causing palatalization (or assimilation with the
> palatal approximant) on the last consonant of the noun/adjective.
> Basically, the palatalization system is easy:
> Voiced/Voiceless alveolar plosives [t; d] become voiced/voiceless
> palatal plosives [c; J]
> Alveolar nasal (voiced) [n] becomes palatal nasal (voiced) [J]
> Alveolar lateral approximant (of course, voiced) [l] becomes palatal
> approximant [L]
> I have a personal dilemma now - how would [s] palatalize? I see two
> possabilities here - whether it becomes post-alveolar fricative [S] or
> palatal fricative [C]?

Do your language have two different series, post-alveolar and palatal? If
just one of them, then it should go to that series, instead of using another
place of articulation... like:

[p b m f w
t d n T l s r
tS dZ J S L y
k g N x]

(I use <y> for IPA [j], like you)

So every occlusive or fricative from the [t] series go to the [tS] series. I
never saw [T] palatalize, so I would make [T] impervious... unless you are
fine with it becoming [S], but I personally find that boring ; ). It's good
to cherish some exceptions.

Post your phonology, it would help!

Edgard.