When I started to learn Hungarian several years ago, I used a book from our
local (Gt.Yarmouth) library called (appropriately) "Learn Hungarian". One of
the authors was a Mr.Banhidi but can't remember the other. The lessons were
pretty interesting - a bit of vocab, a bit of grammar, a
conversation/description, and several drawings, cartoons and songs.
Mike

> So... with regular textbooks, not a success story here.  My favorite way
> to play with a new language (though perhaps not the world's most efficient
> way to learn one) is to noodle around with a grammar, a dictionary and
> a corpus.

I agree, I love to just browse grammar books and get the flavor of a
language.