On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Roger Mills<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> (Actually, "monolingual conlanger" may be a contradiction in terms-- since in most of the cases I can think of, it's contact with/ awareness of another language that activates the conlanging gene  ((That

One can be aware of other languages without having even the slightest
fluency in them; my first several (fairly naive) conlangs were made
when I was still very monolingual, before I had even a slight reading
knowledge of French or Greek, but after I had been exposed to French
(in elementary school in New Orleans) and to Tolkien's conlangs (in my
early teens).

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/