On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Roger Mills wrote:

> I would have guessed that Japanese anime might be a source of
> conlangs, as another respondent said. How would one get info of
> those? Is there a "Google-Japan" or a Google-China etc. devoted
> solely to those countries, in the local languages? Can anyone access
> them, if they exist?

You mean like http://www.google.co.jp/ ?  ;)

It looks like 人工言語 (jinkou gengo) is the accepted translation
for "conlang". This search

http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&q=人工言語&btnG=Google+検索
&lr=&aq=f&oq=

gets 692,000 hits.

So yeah, it looks like they're out there.  ;)

(I wouldn't fault Okrent too severely ... she probably doesn't speak
any Asian languages. And besides, in a world where Chomsky holds sway,
linguists don't need to have a working knowledge of anything but
English, right? :)

(I'm reading her book at the moment as well.)