On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Mechthild Czapp<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Clarify what 'comparisons' means?

> Well, the comparative and superlative forms... but other languages also have comparatives and superlatives which go 'downwards' (good, better, best is upwards, good, less good, least good is downwards) -- or more than the usual 3 (5 if you go downwards) forms (Rejistanian goes over the top with 14 postpositions for this).
>
> CALS has some info on this but not to a level, I would like. It is interesting to me what others came up with here since I wonder whether the Rejistanian system (which came from 2001 when I had even less of a clue than I do now) is needlessly compley or just ANADEW.

Take a look in the list archives for the "Comparison of adjectives"
thread from April 2006.   Ithkuil, not surprisingly, has the most
thorough comparative morphology of any conlang I know of, and John
Quijada posted a longish set of examples in that thread.

I'm presently working on rewriting the section of the gzb grammar on
comparatives.  One issue I haven't quite figured out thoroughly yet is
how to do qualified comparatives, like "one of the most X Y's" or "the
Nth most X Y", e.g. "one of the tallest buildings" or "the
second-youngest child".   I'm pretty sure this last (is "ranked
comparison" a good term? or is there something more standard?) is
going to use different morphology than other comparatives in gzb.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/