On Jun 25, 2009, at 6:14 PM, David Peterson wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 334 PM, <deinx nxtxr>
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if and how anyone is using contractions in their
>> conlangs.
>

> Interesting question.  What makes something a contraction and
> not a suffix?  (We'll leave the clitic question aside for the time
> being.)  If it's that it came from another word, what makes the
> future tense in Spanish an inflection series and not a series of
> contractions?

I'd like to know that, too.

I'm actually not clear on what the most salient feature of
contractions is. Is it that they are blends of (originally) multiple
morphemes? Or is it that they are missing some sounds that were
originally there, or their sounds have changed in irregular ways? Is
the concept of contractions cross-linguistic, or only applicable to
certain languages?

Also, contractions (as I imperfectly understand them) seem to be
members of a class of utterances which are shortened or altered by
allegro speech and/or frequent use. I think other some members of
that class would be some inflectional affixes (or would a word stem
+inflectional affixes count as a contraction itself?). These forms
seem to experience changes which do not fall into the category of
regular sound change. My question is: what rules or tendencies *do*
they obey?

ObConlang: When working on diachronic langs, I create various stages
of regular changes, but then I always struggle with the question of
how much leeway I have for irregular changes. Some insight from
natlinguistics would help.

> If it's detachability, I think we have a lot more
> contractions in English than the ol' -n't, -'ll, -'d, -'s, -'ve,
> and -'m
> (sorry if I missed any).

Which others do you have in mind?