David McCann wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 120:47 -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>
>> It's just a convention thing.  I'm used to seeing the
>> spelling "gh" used to explicitly mark a <g> as "hard" (that
>> is, [g]) where a bare <g> might possibly be interpreted as
>> "soft" ([dZ]).  So using <gh> to *mean* [dZ] feels exactly
>> backwards to me.
>
> It came to me as a solution to the demands of both the internal
> and external history of Liburnes. The orthography took almost
> as long as the sound changes from Latin.
>
> I had to represent soft "c" /č/ and "g" /ǰ/. The latter
> couldn't be "j", as this had become /dz/. The Italian solution
> of adding "i" was barred by words like /fač/. Writing "fač"
> looked too Slavonic and "facy" was blocked by the use of "y"
> for /ɨ/. I wanted the latter so that the change of /luna/ to
> /lɨna/ would be visible: what's the use of a change if it
> doesn't show? So, on the basis of Spanish "ch" and Portuguese
> "nh", I created "ch gh lh nh rh".
>
> The internal history is that Liburnes, spoken in Orsinia (see
> Ursula Le Guin's Malafrena), used Glagolitic until the
> mid-nineteenth century. Then they rang the changes on etymology
> (fact), French (fatch), Italian plus etymology (fatiu).
> Finally, at the Sant-Antunh Conference in 1924, they settled
> the matter. "y" /ɨ/ from Orsinian, "gu" and "qu" from French
> etc, "ch" from Spanish, "nh lh" from Portuguese, "gh rh" for
> consistency.
>
> /ts/ was a problem; writing "naçon" and "çarha" (< terra)
> looked odd, so I (or the Conference) went Rumanian with "națon"
> and "țarha".

Many years ago when I first started dabbling in conlangs I had the
beginning of a language based on mix of major European languages
so I had a phonology and orthography that accomodated most of
them.

I don't have any of my early files but remember it was
something like this, using digraphs and ligatures as well as edh
and thorn to accomodate all the phonemes.

< a æ b c d ð e    f g h i j k l m n o œ p r s š tš t þ u v w y z
ž dž >

/ ɑ æ b x d ð e[ə] f g h i j k l m n o œ p ʀ s ʃ ʧ  t θ u v w y z
ʒ ʤ  >