Hi everybody!
My conlang Longrimol has a Dual number, which is marked by attaching
the suffix "-ya", and causing palatalization (or assimilation with the
palatal approximant) on the last consonant of the noun/adjective.
Basically, the palatalization system is easy:
Voiced/Voiceless alveolar plosives [t; d] become voiced/voiceless
palatal plosives [c; J]
Alveolar nasal (voiced) [n] becomes palatal nasal (voiced) [J]
Alveolar lateral approximant (of course, voiced) [l] becomes palatal
approximant [L]
I have a personal dilemma now - how would [s] palatalize? I see two
possabilities here - whether it becomes post-alveolar fricative [S] or
palatal fricative [C]?
I think it would be more likely to become [C] since it sounds more
"similar" to others. Other possability [S] would be more expected if
[t] became [tS] not [c]. I'm not quit sure though.
Any thoughts that might be usefull?
P.S.
How would dental/interdental fricatives [T; D] palatalize? (if not
just as [T]+[j])