Kate Rhodes wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Sai Emrys<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:09 PM, kate rhodes<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Also, it's limited to conlangs from The West. There's no mention of conlangs from Eastern
>> cultures.
>
> TTBOMK that's a representative limitation, as far as publishing goes.
> Any particular Eastern conlangs you'd want to have had included?

No. I know nothing of Eastern conlangs, so I would have found it
interesting to see if what people were attempting to do in that part
of the world matched up with what they were trying to do in the west
were presented as attempting as time went by.  I was mostly annoyed by
it because the book tends to present itself as a historical overview
of conlangs, but acts as if they only exist as the product of western
minds. It never explicitly says that, but there's not even passing
mention of any from the east, unless it's buried in the huge list of
conlangs at the end  which i didn't feel a pressing desire to read
every entry of.

It does seem strange. In my ~9 years on this list,  I don't recall any Japanese, Chinese  etc. conlangers-- except those resident in (and IIRC educated in) the West**  Actually IIRC there was a Chinese (Singaporean??) guy for a while who I think was making an auxlang, but he turned into an argumentative troll and vanished (or was banished).

**I recall Yoon Ha Lee (Korean), H.S. Teoh (Chinese/Singapore?)-- both regular and valued contributors for several years; the ever-amazing Hanuman Zhang (Chinese[via Indonesia IIRC] via UK and Texas) who still pops in occasionally.  Currently, I assume Eugene Oh qualifies.

There's also (Middle Eastern) the creator of Delason, a Palestinian IIRC who lives in the US.

Nothing about their conlangs could be called "Eastern/Oriental" IMO.
Perhaps undergoing a Western(ized) education contaminates the
mind linguistically?? And monolingual conlangers (can there be any in this day and age?) probably would not know about, or contribute to, a list like this. (Never mind the problems Chinese nationals have with Internet access.)

(Actually, "monolingual conlanger" may be a contradiction in terms-- since in most of the cases I can think of, it's contact with/ awareness of another language that activates the conlanging gene  ((That might be an interesting question to include in a future survey??))  But it's a sweeping generalization, since we do know about e.g. twins' creating private languages, schoolkids' private codes etc. even if they're probably just relexes.)

I would have guessed that Japanese anime might be a source of conlangs, as another respondent said. How would one get info of those? Is there a "Google-Japan" or a Google-China etc. devoted solely to those countries, in the local languages? Can anyone access them, if they exist?