2009/7/1 Kjell Rehnstr?÷m <[log in to unmask]>:
> MacLeod Dave skrev:
>>>
>>> That depends on the precise situation. *Some* people will find they enjoy
>>> learning languages or at least experiencing other cultures more directly,
>>> and they will learn other languages if their circumstances permit. áMany or
>>> most only learn a language if they must, and an auxlang would nearly
>>> eliminate that reason. So language learning in general would probably
>>> decline.
>>>

>> No, it goes up:
>>
>> http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/June2008/18/c5196.html
>>
>> You'll notice that even though multilinguals have already put in the
>> effort to learn another language, after doing so only 7% wouldn't like
>> to learn another one compared to 20% for those that are unilingual.
>> Let's say Canada and the US have a good 250 million unilinguals
>> between them - with a world L2 we now have an extra 33 million that
>> are interested in learning another that weren't before.
>>

> I have met people who have grown up with a L2 at nearly native level. But
> this does not necessarily mean that they will be good at th third language
> they are beginning to learn.

Perhaps not good, but they will always be better (or "less bad"), and
always less afraid to take that step. I've noticed that Europeans are
generally not afraid of the idea of taking on another language as long
as it resembles their own to at least a certain extent (Western
European with Latin script) or at least something well-known (Slavic
languages), but are still very hesitant to think about tackling
completely unrelated languages like Chinese. To many unilingual
speakers though every other language in the world comes across in the
same way that Chinese would to most Europeans, simply too foreign and
intimidating to even try.

--
http://www.pagef30.com