Hello everyone,

I am finishing my PEM fellowship at Loma Linda University Children's
Hospital this week, and have accepted a fill time faculty position at Loma
Linda.  I will be heading up the fellows' stats course, which will cover the
ABP's content outine for research methods.  I'd also like to include a
seminal PEM article every month to introduce some of the stats concepts.  My
idea is to use historically important articles in the PEM world.  These
would not necessarily be newer papers, because those would be covered in a
separate journal club.  I want to cover articles that every PEM physician
should be aware of, and might help explain how we arrived at current
practices.  I'd also ideally like to include a good variety of study
designs, ie. randomized controlled trial, meta-analysis, etc.  I would love
to get some suggestions from the group as to which articles to include.
Here are a few examples that I have in mind so far:

Spiro DM, Tay KY, Arnold DH, Dziura JD, Baker MD, Shapiro ED. Wait-and-see
prescription for the treatment of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled
trial. JAMA. 2006 Sep 13;296(10):1235-41. PubMed PMID: 16968847.

Bjornson CL, Klassen TP, Williamson J, Brant R, Mitton C, Plint A, Bulloch B,
Evered L, Johnson DW; Pediatric Emergency Research Canada Network. A randomized
trial of a single dose of oral dexamethasone for mild croup. N Engl J Med. 2004
Sep 23;351(13):1306-13. PubMed PMID: 15385657.

Freedman SB, Adler M, Seshadri R, Powell EC. Oral ondansetron for
gastroenteritis in a pediatric emergency department. N Engl J Med. 2006 Apr
20;354(16):1698-705. PubMed PMID: 16625009.

Hodson EM, Willis NS, Craig JC. Antibiotics for acute pyelonephritis in
children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Oct 17;(4):CD003772. Review. PubMed
PMID: 17943796.

Sharma S, Riviello JJ, Harper MB, Baskin MN. The role of emergent neuroimaging
in children with new-onset afebrile seizures. Pediatrics. 2003 Jan;111(1):1-5.
PubMed PMID: 12509546.

Tim Young
Loma Linda University Children's Hospital

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html