Hi Elli! great to hear from you, and also to learn of another major
project diving into the warm TEI P5 water...

I'll just comment briefly on a few of the specific issues you raise
below -- I'm sure others will want to chip in too

1. dimensions  : as of P5 1.4 you can now use a generic <dim> element
within <dimensions> which may be more appropriate/simpler for recording
arbitrary bits of text-bearing-object-measurement than <measure>

2. <objectDesc> the purpose of this element is precisely as you say to
document the whole of the text bearing object (henceforth TBO). You can
(obviously) tweak the domain of the values for the @form attribute to
suit your project's needs. Within that element you have the choice of
paragraphs, or  a grouping of matters relating to the carrier followed
by a grouping of matters relating to the inscription itself.  If your
full description refers to both support and supported, and then maybe
goes on to describe the other aspects in more detail,  then I can see
the case for a separate overall <summary> or <desc> as first child of
the <objectDesc>. But I can't as yet see the case for a new <object>
within <supportDesc>, since this would duplicate the intention of the
<objectDesc> itself.

3. @ref and @ana both take anyURI as values and thus either of them can
point within the same file or elsewhere (we have some guy called Durand
to thank for that). It might be a good idea to use @key however if you
want a generic "controlled code which is equivalent to the content of
this element" type attribute. If you want to invoke a taxonomy of
material types, then @ref or @key would be appropriate. @ana implies
rather that some kind of analytic interpretation has been applied so one
might rather fancifully say <cake ref="# madeleine"
ana="#swanns-way">small proustian pastry</cake>

4. I don't follow your comments on @cRef and global attributes, and
James tells me he thinks there may be a misunderstanding here.  @cRef is
a rather specific  way of doing certain kinds of pointing; it should not
be global. It relies on a homegrown addressing system which was really
cool in P2 or P3, but looks a bit strange now we have xpointer ... @key
and @ref are not global either: they are inherited from membership in
the att.canonical class. James' proposal was, I think, to add <material>
and various others to that class.

Looking forward to hearing about fakes. You might like to check out the
new material on <certainty> in that connexion...

Lou