Emmanuelle Morlock-Gerstenkorn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My question is about the use of multiple values for a single attribute.
>
> When a note is under the responsibility of two encoders (for example #E1
> and #E2), is it possible to
> have <note resp="#E1 #E2">blablabla</note> ?

Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to do that. @resp on note has a
datatype of a single data.pointer.[1]  @resp on many other elements
picks it up from the class att.editLike which allows one-or-more
occurrences of data.pointer.[2] If you have a good use case of multiple
editors for a note, perhaps it is worth submitting a feature request.[3]

> Is it then possible to express a kind of a boolean "OR" with the syntax
> of the attributes ?

Not with note/@resp but with something like origDate/@resp, you can have
multiple pointers.  Unlike with persName/@ref the Guideline reference
pages to seem to say what multiple pointers mean, but I would have
interpreted <date resp="#E1 #E2"> as that E1 and E2 are both in some
manner responsible for the determination of the element content.

> For example if, in a manuscript, the trancriber find it difficult to
> elucidate the right "hand" out of a list of 2, but know it cannot be the
> other hands found in the manuscript.
> So the hand is #H1 OR #H2 but NOT #H3, #H4, #H5... How would you express
> that ?

Unfortunately handShift/@new is one of those that only takes a single
pointer, so you can't do it directly on handShift.  However, you might
be able to use <alt/> to do this.[4]

> In general, is it possible to introduce set of values like for the rend
> attribute as it exemplified below ? Or is it just used for the @rend
> attribute ?
>        the example of the P5 guidelines : <head rend="align(center)
> case(allcaps)">

Yes, that is valid when I try it, though you may also wish to look at
rendition.[5]

[1] http://sn.im/tei-p5-doc/ref-note.html
[2] http://sn.im/tei-p5-doc/ref-att.editLike.html
[3] http://sn.im/tei-frq
[4] http://sn.im/tei-p5-doc/ref-alt.html
[5] http://sn.im/tei-p5-doc/ref-rendition.html

-James
--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford