This isn't an answer to your question either, but the traditional way to
transcribe (editorially) corrected text in ancient texts--using the
Leiden convensions, which is how we render this markup in the EpiDoc
stylesheets--is with the corrected form in angle-brackets "Ba<s>ileus"
and the erroneous value ("'s' is for 'e'") only in the apparatus entry.
(A more recent update to Leiden introduces upper-half-square-brackets
for this purpose, but displaying this in Unicode is tricky.) Some
projects, like the Epigraphische Datenbank Heidelberg (whose internet
connection I am using to send this), use a slightly more verbose but
unambiguous convention that displays both corr and sic in the text:
<s=E> (with the sic in uppercase to show that it is the more
"diplomatic" of the two readings).

Just out of interest, the papyrologists tend to prefer to give whole
words, rather than individual characters, so "<basileus>" would be
displayed in the text, and "baeileus" in the apparatus.

The EpiDoc example XSLT are parameterized to cater for all four of the
different conventions described above.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)