I think Torsten hits the nail on the head, at least in clarifying my
contribution to the discussion.  At the Newton Project, we haven't
(yet) introduced the <subst> tag, but I can see why it would be
useful.  In the case of manuscripts, del/add seem to me the right way
to encode the children of <subst>, but in the case of oral
transcripts, orig/reg or corr/sic make more sense.  That said, I have
no experience at all of transcribing oral sources so perhaps I should
leave the discussion to people who have.

John